Thursday, May 7, 2015

Maybelline The Rocket Volum' Express | Review

I remember hearing about this mascara a couple of years ago when it seemed like everyone on YouTube was just raving about it. I can only now assume that this was sent to all of them for free which is why it got such glowing reviews because I'll be honest with you - this mascara ain't all that.

I bought it before Christmas and it took me a few months to finish and I was pretty relieved when it was done. The Rocket Volum' Express isn't terrible; it's just so-so.
I didn't find that it gave great volume (Also, can we talk about their spelling of "Volum'"? What's with the apostrophe? Just spell it correctly so we can move on, Maybelline!), I've certainly used comparably priced mascaras that I felt gave much better results.

I should probably clarify that I'm one of those mascara users that prefer my formulas to be on the drier side. I HATE wet mascaras. You know that feeling the first time you open a new tube and put it on your lashes and it just feels like a gloopy mess? I hate that! To each their own I guess, but I always find that I never truly like a mascara until maybe a month after opening it when it's consistency is more dry and manageable. I do have one mascara that I buy over and over that I like right from the get go but I'll save that one for a different review.

With The Rocket mascara I think my biggest problem is that it took forever to get to that drier state so I spent a lot of time layering it with other mascaras to get it to do what I wanted. I also don't even particularly mind the rubberised bristles as lot of mascaras have them nowadays and we've all probably grown accustomed to them - but this brush is really big, you guys! I can't tell you how many times I've poked myself in the eye with it and I promise you, I'm by no means a novice mascara user!

The Rocket Volum' Express is just OK. I didn't hate it but I definitely didn't love it.

Actually, Maybelline just came out with a new mascara called 'Lash Sensational' which is apparently another volumizing mascara. Come to think of it, the packaging looks almost identical but instead of The Rocket's blue colour, it's pink. The brush is also similar to The Rocket's in size, but the Sensational one has a curve in it...I'd like to say that I won't try it out but knowing me, I probably will. I have no will power, OK?

I would rate Maybelline's The Rocket Volum' Express a 5/10. A solid mediocre rating for a solid mediocre product.

No comments:

Post a Comment