Monday, July 9, 2018

FabFitFun Starter Box Summer 2018 | I'm Easily Influenced


Like most people, I’m easily influenced into buying what people on the Internet tell me to buy. So, it should be no surprise that I was already done for as soon as I discovered the r/BeautyBoxes subreddit.



Unlike some people online, who each seem to be subscribed to multiple boxes all at once, I’ve only ever been subscribed to one service in the past, TopBox. When I subscribed to TopBox many years ago, it was one of the first (and only) Canadian subscription services available at that time and while I haven’t been subscribed to them in years, I still appreciate that they’re looking out for us Canucks. I wasn’t subscribed to TopBox for long because I quickly grew tired of getting teeny tiny samples, not to mention most months seemed to contain one black eyeliner or red lipstick after another…I mean, that’s fine if you’re Marilyn Monroe or Marilyn Manson, but it got pretty damn boring after a while.

Anyways, the folks over at r/BeautyBoxes were constantly raving about the Mother of all subscription services, FabFitFun. All full-size products, but also a mixture of items from accessories to housewares to makeup and bath and body products – basically anything cute that will fit in a box! Best of all, FabFitFun offers a one-time deal to those who aren’t subscribed to them, called a “Starter Box”. For 8 bucks ($10-ish after the CAN conversion) FFF will send you a box of 4 items to give you an idea of what their regular boxes would contain.

My reaction was something like this:


I ordered the Starter Box on May 28th and received it on July 3rd. FFF says that Canadians can expect their boxes within 14 business days. I think most Canadians are used to having to wait a little longer for packages to arrive at our doorsteps anyways, but for some reason Canada Post decided to skip over me in Ontario and send my box all the way to Nova Scotia, only to send it back to Ontario.

So, now that I’ve rambled long enough, here’s what I think of the stuff I got. I also want to mention, I’d seen a lot of spoilers from others on r/BeautyBoxes and not all Starter Boxes come with the same items. I really wanted one particular box and somehow against all odds, it’s the one I got! So here goes…


Summer & Rose ‘Brittany’ Tote in Cobalt (retails $54)
I really like this tote! It’s nicer than I was expecting and the nautical rope handles are really cute. The inside is lined with some kind of material that seems like it would be easy to wipe down (would be useful should you need to carry a damp beach towel or something) and it has two little pockets inside.

Free People Understated Vegan Leather Eye mask (retails $40)
I wouldn’t quite use the word “understated” to describe this mask with its metallic stars all over it as but, whatever. I will say this is a cute looking eye mask and does what it’s supposed to do. It has a removable gel-like pouch that you can put in the freezer and then put back inside the mask for a nice cooling effect; I actually did do this and it was nice. For my own lifestyle, however, I can’t see myself using this very much.

AHAVA Dead Sea Water Mineral Hand Cream 150ml (retails $33)
This hand cream seems to be included in every Starter Box and I can see why. First off, the tube is massive! The smell is nice, I like it, but I can definitely see why some people say the scent is too intense. The cream itself is moisturizing, non-greasy and fast absorbing, what more could you want?

Spongellé Body Wash Infused Buffer in Freesia Pear (retails $16)
I was most excited for the cheapest thing in the box, what does that say about me? It’s a sponge that’s infused with body wash, you get it wet and give it a squeeze and a ton of suds appear! I feel sort of dumb because I’ve used it three times now and I still can’t figure out how it keeps lathering so well. When will it run out of its glorious bubbles? The sponge itself is somewhat rough in texture because it’s a “buffer” but it isn’t scratchy and it works really well. I’m obsessed with the Freesia Pear scent - I already want another one!

So, those are my thoughts on the FabFitFun Starter Box I got. I miiiight have also bought their Summer 2018 box…OK, I did buy it. I might do another one of these with all the stuff I got in that box but it’s going to be long as hell and I don’t know how to edit myself. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment