Monday, March 11, 2013

Caudalie Beauty Elixir | Over the Moon or Overrated?


I might be a little bit late jumping on the Caudalie Beauty Elixir bandwagon but I tend to purchase things at a turtle's pace. 

I bought the much talked about Beauty Elixir/Toner/Makeup Setting Spray/Apparently Does Everything But Cook Your Food back in January on a whim. I was picking up a replacement brush head for my Clarisonic and the Caudalie section was lit up like a sparkling earthy beacon just a foot away. 

Like most people who follow beauty blogs and Youtube channels, all everyone heard about for the last 6 months was Caudalie Beauty Elixir, this - It's so refreeeeshing, that! And like most people, I was sucked in. Especially after seeing a video with the Queen herself Lisa Eldridge raving about how much she loved it. 




I bought the little mini bottle instead of the full size in case I didn't end up liking it and also because the mini bottle itself is pretty expensive for what it is. I don't remember how much exactly but it was over $20. 

It's probably a good thing too since the product itself ended up being a real miss for me. I think the concept is nice and I think it's marketed itself quite well too as an all-natural do-it-all face spray. I've heard a lot of comparisons to the MAC Fix+ as well, but I've never tried it so I can't say anything to that. 

In all honesty, I didn't find it worked as a makeup refresher since it actually felt really drying on my skin. It basically evaporates as soon as it's sprayed and I'm convinced it was leaving my skin quite dry. 

Not to mention for an all natural product, it really stung my eyes. Not that I was spraying it with my eyes open but once I did open my eyes it felt like the scent lingered in front of them and irritated the crap out of them similar to that feeling you get when you breathe in Vicks Vapor Rub. And that's another thing: the scent!

So many people talked about how much they enjoyed the smell of the Caudalie Beauty Elixir but I am not one of them. I can't really explain what it smells like, the best I can come up with is peppermint and wet leaves. Mmmm refreshing. But then again, that's just my opinion, clearly mostly everytone else in the world absolutely loves this stuff. 

I would definitely be interested in trying some of their other products because they really do talk a good game. But the Beauty Elixir is something I'm going to leave to the professionals. 



No comments:

Post a Comment