Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder | Review

I always have this blog in the back of my mind, but you know how it goes, life happens and gets in the way and then it seems like the things you liked to do are just a distant memory...

I've been trying out a few new things lately, as usual, I'm always on the hunt for my holy grail products but also sometimes you just need to economize, you know? Namely, just like most people, I constantly look for alternatives for the products I use everyday.

As it is, I use MAC's Mineralize Skinfinish Natural (I'm shade Light Plus if you're curious) as my setting powder everyday and it looks basically flawless on top of whichever foundation I happen to be using that day. But having oily skin in the summertime makes it painfully obvious that my MSF is missing a key ingredient - oil control. And it's expensive!

I've heard a lot about Rimmel's Stay Matte powder swirling around the blogosphere and it's got some pretty amazing reviews. So here's another one!



I have a love/hate relationship with this. I love the fact that is does what it says it will do, it keeps your face matte throughout the day. As with any product that claims to be "matte" eventually some shine will get through but that's just our cross to bare, isn't it? Otherwise, it blends nicely, the shade range is just OK (they didn't have the lightest shade available, so I got the next one up and it's still fine) and the smell isn't offensive.

Now for the cons. I swear I have never had a product with worse packaging! On the outside it looks cute and fresh and that damn "screw on" lid is effing useless. I have to keep this on top of my dresser rather than mixing it in with my other makeup because the lid just falls off and I'm afraid it'll shatter.

My other complaint, which I've read in a bunch of other reviews so I was expecting it, is that it can get a little cakey looking. I've found this to be true if you use a heavy hand with it and sometimes during those +40C days it's hard not to practically paint it on! BUT, I think if you press it into the skin with a minimal amount on your brush you'll get an even coverage minus the cake.

Overall I'd probably rate it a 7.5/8 out of 10. It's a good powder and if you use a light hand it'll definitely come in handy during those sweltering days!

No comments:

Post a Comment